Although your teeth are designed to last a lifetime, you need to exercise proper oral care and treatment to avoid losing them. With periodontal treatment, you can correct and clean your gums and pockets around the teeth thoroughly to prevent diseases and damage to the surrounding bone.
Periodontal treatment and surgery correct problematic issues that could worsen if left untreated for some time. Here are some of the reasons why it is necessary:
- Deep clean – Periodontal treatment provides a thorough cleaning of both the gums and teeth, which restores your oral health. The deep clean helps to destroy all existing bacteria pockets, thus preventing further damage.
- Prevent diseases – The treatment prevents the occurrence of any oral disease. Thus, you can reduce the chances of bacterial infection by taking care of your mouth through regular oral hygiene.
- Restores the normal functioning of your teeth – Periodontal treatment strengthens the teeth and gums that would otherwise cause unbearable pain and discomfort associated with gum bleeding. Thus, the functionality of your teeth, chewing, gummy smile, and talking is fully restored.
When you visit a dental clinic for periodontal treatment, a periodontist assesses the stage and extent of the disease, your response to earlier treatments, and your overall health. From the assessment, your periodontist will determine the best method to suit your case–non-surgical or surgical treatment.
a) Non-Surgical Periodontal Treatment
A non-surgical method for treating gum disease is recommended if your gum and teeth are not severely affected. It entails:
- Professional dental cleaning– This treatment involves the removal of plaque and tartar, and can only be removed by a specialist. However, if you show signs of gum disease, your dentist can recommend regular dental cleaning and treatment.
- Scaling and root planing– This is a procedure performed under mild anesthetic. It involves the removal of tartar and plaque by scraping the gum line (scaling), and smoothing rough surfaces on the root of a tooth (planing). This helps in removing dentin that is filled with toxins and microorganisms.
b) Surgical Periodontal Treatment
An advanced periodontal disease requires professional surgical treatment to get rid of the disease-causing bacteria. Your periodontist can recommend any of the following procedures:
- Periodontal flap surgery/ pocket reduction surgery: This procedure involves lifting the gums to remove the tartar. The affected area is thoroughly cleaned, and the irregular bony surfaces smoothed to limit the areas where plaque and bacteria were trapped. Thus, the chances of severe oral issues are minimized.
- Bone grafts: The procedure is performed using fragments from synthetic bones, donated bones, or your bones to act as a scaffold, which will help in generating new bone cells.
At Sunrise Dentistry in Mississauga, Toronto, we provide both surgical and non-surgical periodontal treatments depending on the extent of the gum disease. Our team of highly qualified periodontitis is always ready and willing to give the best on-demand services. Apart from regular offers for all new patients, our consultation schedule is quite flexible and will help you process your medical insurance claims.
Don’t let that aching tooth keep you from enjoying that scrumptious meal. Book an appointment with us today!